Evita is a play by Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd Webber, based on the life story of Evita Peron. This play/musical was ok to read. It is interesting that it is actually based on a real person. This story is very fascinating that I find it almost fictitious. It was interesting to know that Evita actually got to the top by sleeping around. Although she has accomplished a lot during the years, this gets me thinking if she actually really is a strong character. I don’t think she would be strong by getting to the top the easy way. I realize that it’s hard for a woman to get to the top on her own without doing “favors”, but personally I still don’t think that’s right.
I do think that her message is powerful to the people by representing herself as more of a regular person than one in her position. This message shows strength in itself because it shows that even though she had risen in society from coming from a middle class family, rather than showing herself as just rich and powerful, her appearance was still sending out a message that she is a woman, and she made it to the top and if she can do it, they can do it. Evita did do a lot of good to society as well. She helped people get jobs and homes, which was very beneficial at the time, although in the end, she robbed the government of their money by spending all of it, and of course, a lot of it was for her own benefit. I guess she could have helped people and not spend all of the money at the same time by focusing on a big issue rather than trying to help with everything at the same time. It won’t work out. In the play Che was right when he basically stated that Evita focuses on what happens today rather than also thinking about how this will affect the future. I don’t think that was very responsible.
Finally, I would like to state that since we read a lot of plays where men and their wives did not get along, it is good to know that Evita and Peron worked like a team and supported each other the whole time they were in politics. He liked her for herself rather than just using her to help him get to the top and that was a very powerful point in this play.
Yeah I also agree that it was little surprizing to see Evita and Peron get along so well especially the way Evita used to get to the top, personally at first I thought that Peron was just another resourse for her to get to the top.
ReplyDelete