Wednesday, November 3, 2010

And the Soul Shall Dance


And the Soul Shall Dance was a very interesting play to read. Not only was it about immigrants who are struggling to make a better life for themselves but its about Japanese immigrants. Until reading this play, I had never really realized the troubles Japanese immigrants encountered when coming to America. How they were forced to live in these small deserted camps, and couldn’t own properties of their own and moving every couple of years. I could really imagine how hard that had to be for them to make a stable living.
The character I found most interesting in the play would have to be Masako. Although she is only 11 years old, it was really hard for her to fit in either the American culture, or her family’s culture. She’s in the middle between both. I can imagine her struggling with her family at home, who probably wish she had a little more Japanese culture, and with any American she comes across, who is bound to treat her like she is different already. I liked her character because I can really relate to it, since I too had to go through the adaptation of both cultures (Egyptian and American) at the same time, when I was younger.  It was understandable though, how Masako and Emiko related to one another. They both had that lost feeling that they don’t belong where they are. Each one feels like her life can get better and seeks for a change. I felt really sympathetic for Emiko. Just thinking about her life, makes me a little upset. Not only was she forced by her parents to marry someone that she doesn’t love, but after saving up enough money to go back to Japan, Oka takes it from her to help his daughter come to America. That’s like the last bit of hope taken away from Emiko especially because of how abusive and disrespectful Oka treats her. Emiko is also portrayed as having an outgoing, younger personality than Hana. She likes to sing and dance, and sounds like in Japan, she was a free spirited character.  That is probably another reason why she and Masako get along so much.
Another character who I found interesting is Kiyoko. I kind of felt bad for her also.  She obviously did not have such a great time at Japan; living with her grandparents who reminded her of how unloved she was since her mom died. Even though she came to America to live with her dad, she had high hopes of living a better life, but when she encounters how her dad and stepmom go through with each other, she realizes that this isn’t better at all. I guess this is what helped her and Masako get along and actually find something to talk about or relate too: their lives in America despite if the fact that Masako is a Nisei and Kiyoko is an Issei. They are both encountering struggles, which is very significant to this play.

5 comments:

  1. I agree with you about how Masako is trying to find her place within American culture or her family's culture and I would definitely see that as a challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Japanese Americans were not forced to live in the desert, at least not until years later, these families just happened to live in the desert.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I felt really bad for Emiko too, her whole life sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah I didnt realize that they had camps for Japanese Immigrants too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Masako was my favorite too. I thought that by knowing a little about each culture she would have the best of both worlds but instead she never really felt connected to one.

    ReplyDelete